Established in 1964, as a part of the erstwhile PAU Ludhiana, the College of Basic Sciences and Humanities became one of the independent constituent Colleges of Haryana Agricultural University, Hisar in 1970. The College runs M.Sc. and Ph.D. programmes in different disciplines Biochemistry, Bioinformatics, Botany, Chemistry, Environmental Sciences, Food Science and Technology, Mathematics, Microbiology, Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, Physics, Plant Physiology, Sociology, Statistics and Zoology. The College also runs two PG Diploma Programmes, i.e., Communication Skills in English & English -Hindi Translation. The College imparts quality education to not only the postgraduate students of Basic Sciences and Humanities,it also undertakes teaching of undergraduate and postgraduate courses in other constituent colleges of the University. The College has well-equipped laboratories, modern class rooms with interactive board facilities and an auditorium with a seating capacity of about 300 persons. It has well established Computer Centre, Botanical Garden, Centre of Food Science & Technology (CFST), Net Houses, Transgenic Green Houses, Centre of Biofertilizer Production and Technology and Biogas Plants.The College also has an Exhibition Centre show casing the salient features & achievements of the faculty & students. The College is developing technologies to combat various constraints such as in agricultural production, to reduce the gap between existing technological innovations and development of value-added product and its speedy commercialization. The faculty of the college is well-versed with the recent technologiesand has been accomplishing its mandate through incorporation of latest scientific ideas and technologies.Most of them are trained abroad in specialized areas. The excellence in research work is reflected through their publications in high-impact journals and students placements in reputed Institutions and industries. The faculty of the college has innovative ideas and has filed several patent applications, some of which have already been granted.
The College is a symbol of performance, potential and progress. Its iconic status of 52 years makes it an unrivalled institute of research, teaching and extension.
- To impart basic education integrating teaching, research and extension in areas relevant to agriculture with academic excellence
MISSION AND GOAL
- To produce quality human resource
- To conduct basic research in state/nation’s priority areas related to agriculture
- To develop technologies to combat various constraints in agricultural production in the country
- To reduce the gap between existing and novel technical innovations, development of products and their speedy commercialization
- To impart knowledge in various disciplines of basic sciences to the students from constituent colleges of the university
- To strengthen and achieve excellence in teaching, research and to develop quality human resource in various disciplines of basic sciences
- To develop skills and values among students to make them competent not only for government services and industries but also as entrepreneurs
- To develop technologies that can contribute towards the upliftment of the Indian rural economy, employment generation and increased avenues of self-employment
- To develop new technologies for sustainable agricultural production and to refine existing technologies. These are communicated to the stakeholders through class room teaching, seminars, exhibitions, expert lectures and through lab and field demonstrations
- To develop linkage with national and international universities, industries and to promote public-private partnership